2/15/2009

Bhut Jolokia, The World's Hottest Pepper

Bhut Jolokia, The World's Hottest Pepper

I've received several inquiries about seed from a couple of plants I grew this past year. The bhut jalokia, also known as the naga jalokia, is still relatively hard to find in the U.S. Originally from Sri Lanka, tested by the Univ. of New Mexico prior to being listed in the Guiness Book of World Records as the world's hottest pepper, I have seed to sell for anyone interested. $5 for approximately 25 seed.

Also I have seed of the fat baby achocha, from the Bumthang Valley of Bhutan. These make a great vine for arbors and produce hundreds of fruits during the season. Best if started indoors then transplanted out after danger of frost. They're used like green bell peppers in stir fries, but the traditional method is to stuff them and bake in tomato sauce. Each pod has 6 - 8 seeds and I'm charging $2 a small packet of approx. 8 seed. Prices include postage and you can order with check or money order, sending it to me at P.O. Box 127, Blue Eye, MO 65611. I have a limited supply of seed so if you're interested, order now.

Here's a recipe from my recipes blog, for a great tasting crab dip (it's actually from my book, Easy Dips Using Herbs) and you can use some of the chopped, fresh fat baby achocha, and just a tiny bit of bhut jalokia in the recipe if you're adventurous. Enjoy it with chips.

Baked Crab Dip
Serve this while hot with your favorite crackers or toasted bread pieces.

1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 6 1/4-ounce can crab meat, drained, flaked
2 tablespoons onion, grated
1 tablespoon half and half, or milk
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Dash salt and black pepper
Few drops hot sauce
1 green onion, sliced

Combine everything except green onion and mix together. Place in an ovenproof serving dish and bake at 350 degrees F. for 15-18 minutes. Remove from oven and top with sliced green onion and serve. Makes about 1 3/4 cups.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are those peppers hotter than bird's eye peppers?

Anonymous said...

What do you do with the bhut jalokia> I can manage a little of the Habnero, but don't think I could take anything hotter. Besides, I live alone and know of NO ONE that even likes hot pepper. I would like to try it, but maybe next year,,,

Jim Longs Garden said...

Yes, the reason they are called, "The World's Hottest Peppers" by the Guiness Book of World Records, is because there are no other peppers in the world as hot. A bird's eye is rated at 20,000 Scoville heat units, a habanero at 50,000 and a bhut jalokia is rated at one million, two hundred thousand. They are many, many times hotter than a bird's eye.

Erika Hanson said...

Hey Jim,

I'm gonna need to get my hands on some of those pepper seeds: you still have some?

Jim Longs Garden said...

Yes, I still have seed. I'm charging $5 for about 20-25 seed, including postage. My address is P.O. Box 127, Blue Eye, MO 65611.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you still had the bhut jolokia for sale

Lilith M. said...

Dear Mr. Long; Do you still have Bhut jolokia seed? I'd like some, if so.If you have some, i will send off my money order this week. Do you mail up to Canada, BTW?

Lilith M.

Mike said...

how do you get hot pepper seeds to grow ive tried growing them for 2 years now and nothing has grown yet

Gary J said...

Myself and some friends I gave seeds to have also experienced zero percent germination. Is there some special technique to get the sseds to grow?
Gary

Jesse Middleton said...

I live in tampa florida and i went to a hot sauce festival today.. They had all kinds of pepper plants, but i noticed thay had these ones which i purchased, called devils nightmare. They said that they were the hottest in the world. I had never heard of these.. I just got home and looked it up on the net and i cant find ANYTHING on them. Has anyone ever heard of the Devils Nightmare??

Jesse Middleton said...

O Yeah. If anyone has ever heard of the Devils Nightmare. Please shoot me an email at Jessemid25gmail.com

Jolokia-Alex said...

Hey - how do you germinate your seeds? Do they take a long time?

Anonymous said...

Paul redneck gardener Bhut and Bhit jolokia seeds require 30 days to germinate at a soil temp of 85 to 90F. The one way to do that is use a cardboard box with a light bulb on a timer in it. I have used heat mats under planters and this seems to dry out the soil more than heat the seeds properly. and as for the pepper called devils nightmare it may be called devils tounge by other places and people.