10/20/2020

LCH Ramblings Pandanamous Fatigue

While we enjoy our solitude, our business and plenty of projects, the feeling of pandemic fatigue is increasing. Whenever I have a medical appointment, on-line or in person for blood tests, I have noticed a pattern. The night before my appointment I have dreams, not really nightmares of terror, but unsettling dreams. The locations and people involved are different each time, but the one present situation is being in a room with lots of people and no one but me is wearing a mask.

Fortunately those trips away are few and far between, but even with my bi-weekly early morning, no-contact grocery pickup at Wallyworld, the night before is an unsettling mix of mask-less people. I suspect I’m not alone in that response, others may experience their worries in other ways.

This week Carroll County Electric came to visit. They’re in the area cutting under and beside the high lines, more severely than normal. If they are expecting ice storms, they seem ready.

Their truck couldn’t fit through our gate and got stuck for awhile trying to back away. The truck was almost the size of our house, and when they finally extracted it from beside the deck, came in from the other direction and had nearly as much trouble there. The result was cutting back our 20 year old redbud and much older oak.



 

 

 

 

Redbud in foreground, oak, both trimmed

 

 

 

 

 

 

My trip to town Monday, after a night of mask-less characters roaming my sleep, was for a regular blood test to see how my anti-rejection meds are doing. Since I can’t eat before the tests, I did a drive-through from MickeyD’s for bacon-egg McMuffin. Curious about how safe the Kum-n-Go convenience store next door is, I sat in the parking lot and watched  how many customers were wearing masks. The ratio turned out to be 10 people without to every 2 people who were masked. So that answers that question of would I go inside to use the bathroom or buy coffee. Certainly not.

We have some tiny amount of leaf color on the distant hill, and some nice red in one of the maples in the front yard but for the most part it appears this isn’t going to be a leaf color year to brag about.

It was steak grilling weather so I picked up a couple of ribeyes for dinner.



I don't know if you're familiar with Sous-vide (pronounced Sue-Vee) but it's a small miracle as far as I'm concerned. Our good friend, Steve, had sent me one several months back. While we're not big beef eaters, we both enjoy a good steak from time to time. By putting 2 steaks in plastic bags and submerging them in the sous-vous for 3 hours at 135 degrees F, they are then ready for a sizzle on the grill. What's the point? Steak, or chicken or pork, come out greatly tenderized and marinated. This amazing gadget has improved my steak grilling 100%.

We miss having  friends come for dinner, or going to their house, the socializing over a meal is something bonds us together. I love the planning and preparation for meals, the process of looking at new recipes and sometimes mostly following them. We miss, also, a trip out on occasion to one of our favorite restaurants. Sadly, however, that's just not an option now.


I have a firepit on order, hopefully a way of socializing outdoors this winter on nice evenings. That purchase was inspired by friends, Dan and Susan Krotz, whose firepit is always warmed up and ready to add to vivid conversations.

On livestock news this week, Josh sold a dozen old hens mixed with some pullets plus the old French Marais rooster originally from our friend Steven Campbell in North Carolina. And he also sold 3 goats, whittling down the herd to 5 for the winter.



So that's pretty much the news from here, hanging on, holding our breath for the upcoming election. That sometimes gives me nightmares, as well.

Stay safe and keep in touch.

Jim & Josh

No comments: