10/22/2017

Oatmeal Apple Raisin Cake

I think I should go through my old recipe files more often. When I found the previous recipe from 1977 - the Apple Cake, I also found some even older recipes I'd saved. This one, for Oatmeal Cake is from a newspaper clipping about 1950 that my mother had saved. The recipe fairly matches one from my Grandma Long's recipes of the 1930s, so it was probably a widely shared recipe of the time. The original, in my memory, was moist and delicious. Well, I wasn't wrong, this is really good. I had it with an omelette for breakfast this morning.

I can't help but tinker and update recipes, especially old ones, so here is my version, updated, for Oatmeal Apple Raisin Cake.

Why, you may ask, is it only half a cake? Because we had eaten half before I remembered to take the photo!


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

1 cup quick oats (or if you have regular oats, chop for 5 seconds in the food processor)
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup - 1 stick, butter
1 1/2 cups boiling water, into which you put:
 3/4 cup golden raisins and 1/2 cup diced dried apples
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs

1- Slowly simmer raisins and dried apples for 10 minutes.

2- Cream together the 2 sugars and butter, then add the eggs and mix.
3- Mix together the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder with the oats.
4- Pour in in the sugar-shortening mixture, then add the very hot water with the raisins and dried apples.
5- Add 1/2 cups nuts if desired.
Pour into a oiled 9 x 13 inch baking pan and bake for about 25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool, then add icing if desired (I like it without the icing):
6 tablespoons butter at room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flaked, unsweetened coconut
1 cup chopped pecans or other favorite nuts

In medium bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, half and half and beat until smooth. Add coconut and nuts and spread on cooled cake.

No comments: